Introduction To Saxophone Lessons Singapore
Saxophone lessons in Singapore have many different variations depending on the saxophone lessons provider. I’ve gathered the primary and important saxophone lessons in Singapore which I categorized into two major divisions: the beginner saxophone and the advanced saxophone lessons in Singapore. I have summarized it into sub-categories which can be easily understood.
BEGINNER SAXOPHONE LESSONS IN SINGAPORE
- Learning the proper form of mouth when playing the saxophone.
– Embouchure is the term defined as the way how the mouth is formed around the mouthpiece of the saxophone. Beginner saxophone lessons teach a properly designed embouchure that will give the efficient sound production with a minimum blowing effort.
- Proper Breathing
– Diaphragm is a big, flat muscle located under the lungs. Its primary role is to pump air in and out of the lungs. Basically, the diaphragm is the powerhouse of breathing. Knowing how to effectively use one’s diaphragm is one of the basics to play saxophone really well.
– For a beginner, mastering the proper posture while playing saxophone is essential, yet very crucial to learn. Breathing is related to good posture as well as everything you do while playing the saxophone. Learning the proper posture is really relevant to becoming a successful musician, and you can learn this in attending saxophone lessons.
- Practice Techniques
– Crucial points to a proper practice in playing saxophone. It will come in handy and a must have knowledge as you progress in mastering how to play the saxophone.
ADVANCED SAXOPHONE LESSONS IN SINGAPORE
- Flutter tongue and growling
– It is an advanced exercise to further increase the productivity of your diaphragm. Growling is done without the instrument, where the aim is to produce a gargling sound or clearing the throat, similar to the “Darth Vader” sound effects. It is necessary to do this lesson accurately, using the diaphragm to support the airstream. Proper way of doing this lesson will be taught by the saxophone teacher.
- Patterns and Phrasing
– Learning the patterns and phrasing in music is like learning the alphabet when we are a child. Hearing it, and then reciting it after is the best practice to master different patterns and phasing of various saxophone tunes and notes.
- Chords and Scales
– One can memorize chords and scales by simply performing and practicing on various exercises. But as simple as it may seem, the fact is it’s not that simple. Examples of the chords and scales that should be practiced and mastered are the major, dominant 7, minor, etc.
- Tone Production
– A warm up lesson should be first considered in a proper tone production. This lesson concentrates on three physical aspects on playing saxophone: the mouth, tongue, and the fingers. And then moving up to the higher part of the lesson is the production of the right pitch and the right sound produced from blowing the saxophone.
- Long Tones
– It is essential to learning how to play the saxophone. Playing and practicing long tones help to develop an overall good tone as well as embouchure development and breathe control.
- Finger Calisthenics
Practice, practice, and more practice. Only thru practicing, and no other way one can achieve proper finger calisthenics in playing the saxophone. Our finger muscles are sometimes hard to control especially those that we don’t use much.
Putting the fingers in a relaxed mode is one tip of achieving the proper positioning of the fingers on the saxophone.